One of the most isolated age groups during the pandemic have been the elderly. This particular group has the highest risk of infection, sever illness and even mortality if they get COVID-19. This is causing a long period of separation between the elderly and their family members. We know it is tempting to pay parents and grandparents a visit, especially after such a long time apart.
Visits are possible, if the facility permits them. Here is what you need to do to make such a reunion as safe as possible.
- Before visiting, consider the number of cases and spread of COVID-19 in your community. If it’s in an area where there are many cases, the risk to your senior loved ones will be much higher.
- Evaluate your health first. Make sure you are not showing any symptoms which can be found here. Also, make sure you have not been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for Coronavirus.
- Keep their health in mind. If a member of your family is likely to have another condition like a compromised immune system, cancer or heart disease, and as hard as it is, you probably should postpone the visit.
- Visit outdoors, when possible. If this is not possible, make sure to gather in a room that is large, open and well-ventilated. You can do this by opening doors and windows (and cranking up the heat if necessary). Arrange tables and chairs to allow for social distancing.
- Frequently wash hands and make hand sanitizer available to everyone.
- Try to avoid close contact with your visitors. For example, don’t kiss, or shake hands. Instead, elbow bump, wave and verbally greet them.
- It is best and most responsible for everyone to wear masks.
- If you are visiting family members in a nursing or retirement home, there is likely a separate set of guidelines to follow. Be sure to check before visiting.
Omnibus Home Health Care provides our clients with the best in-home health care available. Our staff of highly skilled professionals offer quality care for you or a loved one. We accept many insurance plans including: traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, Medicaid HMO and private insurances plans. We will check benefit coverage on all insurance. This is not a guarantee of acceptance of coverage for our services. Acceptance is based on eligibility, medical necessity and the requirements of our company guidelines. For more information on insurance coverage call 409.724.7000 and visit our Facebook page for the latest information from our staff.