Spring is in the air! Our winter has been unseasonably cold and you are probably just itching to get active! Nevertheless, spending all that time indoors this winter can make you vulnerable to springtime injuries. Whether you are beginning your spring walk routine or looking into tending your garden, take it slow and ease your way into activity.
When planting in the garden or mowing the lawn for the first time in months, it’s wise to start small and work your way up to the larger projects.
- Make sure you take frequent breaks and stay hydrated.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help and don’t take on any projects that are too large. There is no shame in letting a trained professional with the proper equipment do the job for you.
- Wear sunscreen! The last thing you want after a long day of gardening is a red and uncomfortable sunburn.
- Wear gloves to prevent gashes and cuts to the skin. Leaves are dirty and contain bacteria that can infect your skin.
- Wear protective eyewear and comfortable, supportive shoes.
- Start slow, doing too much too fast will increase your chances of injury. Allow rest time in between workouts.
- Wear the proper attire and shoes.
- This is not only a good way to warm up your muscles but it improves flexibility and mobility.
- Drink plenty of fluids pre and post-workout.
- Workout with a buddy. Whether it’s a partner at the gym or a walking partner, a workout buddy will help keep you safe, motivated, and healthy!
Know Your Products and Chemicals
Don’t forget about the chemicals you use to clean and garden. Many include hazardous chemicals that can either poison you, pets, or do harm to your body. Reading the labels of each product you use – and storing them properly in a safe place is important.
Just remember to stay safe, take it slow, warm-up into your activities or projects, and enjoy everything spring has to offer, without the risk of injury. Omnibus Home Health Care wants you to stay healthy and safe this spring.
Omnibus Home Health Care provides our clients with the best in-home health care available. Our staff of highly skilled professionals offer quality care for you or a loved one. We accept many insurance plans including traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, Medicaid HMO, and private insurance plans. We will check benefit coverage on all insurance. This is not a guarantee of acceptance of coverage for our services. Acceptance is based on eligibility, medical necessity, and the requirements of our company guidelines. For more information on insurance coverage call 409.724.7000 and visit our Facebook page for the latest information from our staff.