Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis that affects millions of people. This is when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears down over time. It is possible that osteoarthritis can damage any joint in the body but, this disorder most commonly affects joints in the hands, knees, hips and spine.
This form of arthritis is one of the most frequent causes of physical disability in older adults. It can affect both men and women, although, before the age of 45, osteoarthritis is more common in men than women. After the age of 45 it is more common in women. This disorder develops slowly over time. Some of the symptoms include:
- Pain when moving
- Stiffness in joints
- Tenderness to the touch
- Loss of flexibility
- Popping or cracking when moving
- Bone spurs
Although the damage to joints cannot be reversed, symptoms can be managed with the following:
- Medications (topical pain medicines and oral analgesics including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, NSAIDs)
- Exercise (land- and water-based)
- Intermittent hot and cold packs (local modalities)
- Physical, occupational, and exercise therapy
- Weight loss (if overweight)
- Healthy eating, managing diabetes and cholesterol
- Supportive devices such as braces, orthotics, shoe inserts, cane, or walker
- Intra-articular injection therapies (steroid, hyaluronic acid “gel”)
- Complementary and alternative medicine strategies, including vitamins and supplements
- Other modalities of alternative medicine include acupuncture, acupressure and meditation.
With Omnibus Home Health Care our top priority is your comfort. We accept many insurance plans including: traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, Medicaid HMO and private insurances plans. We will check benefit coverage on all insurance. This is not a guarantee of acceptance of coverage for our services. Acceptance is based on eligibility, medical necessity and the requirements of our company guidelines. For more information on insurance coverage call 409.724.7000 and visit our Facebook page for the latest information from our staff.