Occupational therapy (OT) is a combination of mental, physical and psychological exercises to improve the ability to perform everyday tasks and activity. Each Omnibus patient is evaluated and provided an exercise program specifically designed to improve the patient’s problematic symptoms.
The following are key benefits of occupational therapy for the elderly:
1. Keeps arthritis at bay. With a few modifications to the home, therapists can help seniors tackle arthritis to continue performing daily tasks with more ease.
2. Increased range of motion. These specific exercises increase the patients range of motion and decrease pain and stiffness.
3. Vision improvement. With help from occupational therapy, vision can be improved. OT can provide help with eye conditions such as double vision, lazy eye, dizziness, strabismus and reading.
4. Boosts memory. OT can help some patients retain and sharpen their memory and cognitive skills, even at advanced stages of memory loss. However, the earlier the treatment starts, the better.
5. Reduce chronic pain. As we age, our bones and joints are affected. Whether pain is caused by nerve damage or a traumatic injury, chronic pain can result in loss of control over daily activities.
There are also many benefits that come with seniors remaining in the comfort of their own home. When therapy is necessary, home care is preferred. The home is where we all feel the most safe and secure. When surrounded by familiar things, photographs and people, we all do better. Most seniors remain more independent with the proper in-home care. Research has shown that seniors stay healthier and have a better quality of life when they are able to remain at home.
Skilled Occupational Therapists can be expensive when performed in a hospital or nursing facility. Even assisted living can get quite costly. Bringing in Omnibus Home Health Care Services can be more affordable and offers the flexibility of working around daily routines. We accept many insurance plans including: traditional Medicare and Advantage plans, and private insurances. For more information on insurance, please call 409.724.7000 and visit our Facebook page for more information.
At Omnibus Home Healthcare, our occupational therapists are dedicated to helping their patients get some of their independence back. If you or a loved one is in need of home healthcare, give us a call today (409) 724-7000.